Finally got around to trying to sync my iPod to the new laptop. The iPod was working, mind you.
About a third of the way through the sync, iTunes stopped making progress. That lasted a good ten minutes, at which point I decided that something was wrong. So I rebooted the iPod (held down the menu and play buttons).
That’s when the chunk-chunk noise started.
An endless cycle of seemingly random iPod error messages appeared on the device, and each time I tried to launch the iPod Updater software I got an error on my PC saying “Can’t mount iPod”. OK — this isn’t fatal, as I have a copy of iPod — the Missing Manual and it told me how to go through the disk diagnostic app on the iPod.
At which point I got to the point that the Missing Manual described as “Bad. Really bad.” The iPod diagnostic was reporting a serious failure with the iPod disk drive.
OK — I’m still in the warranty period (not for phone support, but for mail-in support). So I went to the iPod support site, and followed the steps to initiate a support request.
When I got to the form that asked for mailing info, I was fine. Until I got here:
So I have an iPod that doesn’t work. And I can’t get it fixed because the Apple support site doesn’t work.