Doctor Governor? Governor Doctor?

Several new articles in the press clipping page – including a good overview in The NY Times yesterday about Gov. Dean’s position on Iraq.

And speaking of “Gov. Dean” – the Dean Blog raises a question that has puzzled me as well: is it Governor Dean, Former Governor Dean, Dr. Dean, or something else? The convention when referring to past presidents is to refer to them in the present tense: President Reagan, President Carter, President Clinton, etc. I was under the impression that for politicians, the convention is to use the highest post they’d been elected to – hence my use of “Governor Dean” when referring to him throughout this blog.

That said, it is also customary (as The NY Times does) to use “Doctor” as the proper identifier when the individual holds a PhD or MD degree. So… anyone know the right answer to this question?

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.