Last night I lost my Las Vegas virginity, spent nearly 5 hours playing blackjack on the strip. (I won a few bucks, which certainly felt good.) Here, in no particular order, are some things I learned:
- Returning to your room and finding tomorrow’s newspaper on the door already means it was a long night.
- It’s entirely possible to feel exhausted at 7pm (4 hours of sleep the night before, up at 4am for your flight) and completely awake at 2am. Dick says this is due to oxygen being pumped into the casinos. Whatever it is, it was an odd realization when I realized that after sitting still for 3 hours at a blackjack table, I felt like I’d had a full night’s sleep without ever closing my eyes, and could barely keep my eyes open before dinner. Wild.
- Vegas is really, astoundingly, big.
- Aleve does nothing for a headache. (Your mileage may vary, of course.)
- “Free” drinks in the casino are possible because they cost 10x what they should in the bars (and wines are equally overpriced in the restaurants).
- Blackjack is a lot of fun. It’s even more fun, as Dick wisely pointed out, when you’re winning.
Ton of fun. Way more fun than I’d expected.