From Saturday’s Washington Post, a very thorough review of Dean’s emerging front-runner status. Some key bullets:
- Joe Trippi declares (for the first time, I believe) a fundraising goal for Q3: “at least $7.6m, and perhaps much more.”
- Dean is leading in NH and Iowa.
- Dean’s growing operations in key swing states.
- A first-time acknowledgement of “several private conversations” with Wesley Clark on foreign policy. (Here’s an out-of-left-field thought: what if Clark choses not to run and instead throws his weight behind Dean? Doubtful, but fun to think about…)
- A recognition that the next phase of the campaign will have others gunning for Dean, as several campaigns “privately acknowledge” Dean as the man to beat.